Once when I had little leftover after packing her lunchbox I served it for amma, at once she said “So if its for your daughter you go the extra mile to try something new and delicious” I proudly said Yes its all that I have learnt from you! 🙂 She even started teasing me by telling hubby that “we are just served a simple pulao and the lunchbox is packed with all delicacies….” hubby smiled as he already knew this 😉 So the next day I made this baby corn rice again for the whole family to enjoy and that includes me as well 😀
Baby Corn Rice – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Side dish | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Oil – 2 tsp
Pepper Powder – 1/2 tsp
Fennel Seeds powder – 1/2 tsp
Elachi powder – 1/4 tsp
To be made into a batter:
Maida – 2 tbsp
Rice Flour – 2 tbsp
Garam Masala Powder – 1/4 tsp
Ginger Garlic paste – 1/2 tsp
Chat Masala powder – 1/4 tsp
Red Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
Cooking soda – a pinch (optional)
Salt- to taste
- Trim the edges and slice the baby corn as shown.Pressure cook baby corn along with soaked basmati rice for 3 whistles with required water.I used 1:1.5 rice:water ratio for rice and added water just till immersing level of baby corn.
- Once cooked, take the baby corn , strain water and reserve it.In a mixing bowl add the ingredients listed under ‘to marinade’, add reserved baby corn stock water and make a slightly thick paste not too thick.
- Add baby corn and mix well.In a dosa tawa / pan toast till golden brown.Set aside.
- Fluff the rice and set aside.Take pepper powder,elachi powder and fennel seeds powder, and add it to preheated oil, let it splutter.
- Then add onion and fry till it becomes transparent, then add garam masala powder and required salt.Now add toasted baby corn and toss it well.
- Add cooked rice and toss it once.Keep covered and cook for 5 mins in low flame.Then garnish with coriander leaves and switch off.
Serve with any of your favorite curry.
- I pressure cooked both rice and baby corn together to save time in the morning while packing for lunch.As its for the little one, I usually cook until soft.But if you prefer baby corn to be more crunchy then just parboil it.
- Don’t make the batter too thick, we just need a thin coating for baby corn.
- You can deep fry baby corn too.
- You can even add tomato while sauting onion and add more masala powders.
- You can even add garlic along with onions while sauteing.
- Adjust spice level according to your liking.
- I soaked the rice for 30 mins then pressure cooked to yield soft rice.