Aval Upma Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: North Indian
Aval(Poha) – 1 cup (You can use thin or thick variety)
Tamarind pulp + Jaggery syrup – 1/4 cup
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Red Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt – to taste
Oil – 1 tsp
Mustard – 1 tsp
Urad dal – 1/2 tsp
Peanuts – 1 tbsp
Hing – a generous pinch
Green chillies – 1 chopped finely
Curry leaves – few
- Extract thick pulp from tamarind, dissolve jaggery in water and heat it up, strain to remove impurities. Tamarind pulp + Jaggery syrup should come to 1/4 cup. Add this to poha, add little more water just till immersing level. Leave it aside for 3 mins by then all the water will be absorbed by the poha.
- Heat oil add the items under ‘to temper’. Add turmeric and red chilli powder, hing and saute.
- Add soaked poha, required salt..mix well cook covered for 3-5mins in low flame until it is mixed well.
- You can also add onions or any veggies for extra crunchness and make it wholesome.
- Soaking time and water level depends on the type of poha. I used the thin variety.Dont add more water then poha will become mushy.
- Adjust the tanginess and spice level according to your taste.