Batata Poha Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Breakfast | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Poha (Aval) – 1.5 cups (I used thick poha)
Boiled Potato – 1 medium sized chopped(comes to 1/3 cup)
Onion – 1 medium sized chopped finely
Peanuts – 2 tbsp
Lemon juice – 1 tsp
Sugar – 1 tsp
Salt – to taste
Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard seeds – 3/4 tsp
Jeera – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – a small sprig
Green Chilli – 1 chopepd finely
- Rinse poha well and Soak poha in water(just till immersing level) for 3-5mins.Meanwhile heat a pan with oil – add the items listed under ‘to temper’ let it splutter then add peanuts and roast till crispy.
- Then add onion and fry till slightly browned then add boiled chopped potatoes along with turmeric powder.Mix well, then add sugar and give a quick stir.
- By now poha must have absorbed the water, add the poha and give a quick stir until well blended. Garnish with coriander leaves and switch off. Add lemon juice.
Serve hot with lemon wedges.
- I usually soak the poha while starting to temper so by the time the tempering items are done poha becomes soft.Take care not to make the poha mushy so be careful in adding water.You can use thick or thin poha but accordingly soaking time will vary.
- I pressure cooked the potatoes before hand and then added. You can even add raw potatoes and cook it along with onions.
- Dont make it too dry, I usually dont drain the excess water(as I add only little water) to make the poha moist in the upma.Sugar gives a nice twist to this recipe so dont skip it.