Moong Dal Halwa Recipe
Recipe Category: Sweets | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Yellow Split Moong Dal – 1/2 cup levelled
Sugar – 1/2 cup heaped
Ghee – 1/4 cup melted(1/8 cup +1/8 cup)
Milk – 1/2 cup
Water – as needed
Pistachios – few
Saffron – few strands
- Soak moong dal in water till immersing level, soak for atleast 2 hrs.Drain water,transfer to mixer jar.
- Grind it to a semi fine paste not too coarse or not too fine.Sprinkle little water if the mixer gets stuck up, but do not add more water,Set aside.In a sauce pan add sugar..
- Add milk along with saffron, bring it a boil stir well until sugar completely dissolves.Set aside ti cool.
- Now in another pan,take 1/8 cup of ghee,add moongdal paste keep stirring in low flame.It will become dry.
- It will look like puttu,this will take atleast 20mins in low flame.Keep stirring.At this stage the raw smell should have gone and it will give a roasted nutty aroma.This is the right stage,add milk sugar mixture.
- Keep stirring without any lumps.Let it boil for 2mins.
- It will start to thicken,keep cooking.Add remaining ghee(1/8 cup) a tbsp at a time
- Keep cooking and adding ghee,at one stage it will leave the sides of the pan and form a lump,this is the right stage.Switch off.It will thicken further after cooling down.
Serve hot / warm.
- Cooking the raw moong dal paste properly is the main key to get the flavour and texture perfect,so be patient and cook in low flame.
- You can keep in fridge , it will keep well for 4-5 days, heat it up while serving.
- I did not add any nuts , just garnished with pistachios and saffron.