This Ragi Porridge can be started once the baby completes 6 months.We usually start with ragi porridge made with extracted ragi milk as in this post, but this is a instant version which can be done in few mins when you have homemade sprouted ragi powder in hand.But this age old method of making sprouted ragi powder is made from extracted ragi milk which is very good for babies.This recipe is from amma who inturn learnt it from her mother.
But remember mothers feed is the best and its always good to start with other food only after the baby finishes 6 months.Always consult your paediatrician before introducing any new food.
Ragi Koozh Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Baby Food | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Sprouted Ragi Powder – 2 tbsp
Water – 3/4 to 1 cup
Jaggery Syrup – 1 tsp
Ghee – 1/4 tsp
- Add 3/4 to 1 cup of water in a pan.Add sprouted ragi powder(I used homemade)to the pan.
- It should be very watery like this.Whisk well so that there are no lumps.Add ghee to it and start cooking.
- Let it cook in low flame,It will start to thicken , at this stage add your sweetner.I used palm sugar candy powder.
- Keep cooking until it starts to coat the laddle as shown.At this stage switch off.The whole process will take 5-7mins in low flame.
Feed warm along with few drops of ghee or as such.
- Ragi is heat generating food so add ghee and feed more water.
- For babies over 8 months you can add ghee while serving itself.
- Also ragi might constipate so adding ghee helps to avoid constipation.
- Cook in low flame, make sure it gets cooked well.
- This porridge gets thick after cooling down so switch off accordingly.
- You can skip sweetner and feed it as such too.