I have tasted my neighbors pulikuzhambu many times especially when I was having gugu in me.When I asked her the recipe she mentioned about the kuzhambu milagai thool she uses for many south indian kuzhambu and gravies which gives it the unique taste.This time she gave a pack of that homemade kuzhambu milagai thool so used it for making this pulikuzhambu, wow it was so good.We all licked the bowl and our fingers clean 🙂 yes it was that yum! I’ve got the recipe for that multipurpose powder too,will try and post it soon.
Vendakkai Puli Kuzhambu Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Vendakkai(Ladies Finger) – 9 nos
Tamarind – 1 lemon sized
Tomato – 1 roughly chopped
Coconut – 1.5 tbsp
Sambar powder / Kuzhambu Milagai Thool – 2 heaped tsp
Water – 1 cup
Salt – to taste
Gingelly Oil – 3 tbsp
Vadagam -1 tsp
Red Chillies – 3
Curry Leaves – a small sprig
Small Onion – 15
Garlic pearls – 5 halved
- Rinse the veggie well to remove the dirt on the outer skin if any.Wipe off with a tissue paper to remove moisture. Trim both the edges.
- Chop it into bite sized pieces nearly 3/4 inch long.In a kadai(I used my mud pot kadai) heat gingelly oil, add vendakkai and saute till it shrinks.Fry till it shrinks in size and the stickiness is reduced.
- In a kadai / pan heat oil – add the items listed under ‘to temper’, then add onion and garlic, fry for 2mins.
- Add tomato and saute till its mushy and raw smell leaves.Then add sambar powder and saute for 2mins or until the masalas are nicely blended.
- Add the cooked vendakkai and saute for few mins.Soak tamarind in hot water and extract the slightly thin tamarind water.
- Strain it and add it.Now add water and let the gravy boil for a good 10 mins in low flame.
- It will start to thicken.Grind coconut with little water to a smooth paste.
- Add coconut paste and let it boil for a good 5mins in low flame.When oil starts to separate switch off.
Serve with hot rice.
- Add a cup of water to tamarind and make a thin extract.
- I recommend adding gingelly oil(nallennai) , if you don’t have then go ahead with your usual cooking oil.
- Keeps well for 1 day even without refrigeration.
- I used kuzhambu milagai thool, you can use sambar powder instead.
- You can even add any other vegetable that you use four puli kuzhambu.