Makhana or Phool Makhana or also called as Fox Nuts is rich in protein and also one of the tastiest snacks you can have anytime.I am stocking it up whenever I see it here in the supermarket as its seasonal in my place.Mittu loves to eat this roasted makhana as such but I wanted to try different recipes with it to enjoy and to post here 🙂 Makhana kheer was one such try and it tasted so good as makhana blends so well with milk yielding a delicious creamy kheer.
Makhana Kheer Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sweet | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Phool Makahana – 1 and 1/2 cups
Milk – 2 cups(1/2 litre)
Sugar – 1/8 cup
Ghee – 1 tsp
Saffron – few strands
Pistachios – 5 chopped lengthwise
- Measure makhana.Take it in a pan and roast it in ghee until slightly golden.It will be crisp when tasted,thats the right stage switch off.
- Take 1/2 cup from it and grind it to a coarse mixture,Set aside.Take milk in pan.
- Boil till it reduces a little.Then add sugar and saffron.
- Simmer for 5mins.Then add makahana powdered mixture.
- It will start to thicken once its added keep stirring till it reaches a creamy consistency.Now add remaining 1 cup of roasted makahana,
- Give a quick stir and switch off.Add chopped pistachios and serve.
Serve chilled / warm.
- Give just 10 mins standing for the makhana to soak up well.If you rest for more time then the milk will be fully absorbed.
- So you can add the roasted makahana few mins before serving time.
- You can add other chopped nuts like badam,cashews too.