There are a lot of variations to the basic Phirni recipe and one such variation is this Mango Phirni.This tastes close to pudding in consistency but tastes more like mango rice kheer.
Mango Phirni Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Dessert | Recipe Cuisine: India
Mango – 1 small(I used alphonsa)
Basmati Rice – 2 tbsp
Full Cream Milk – 2 and 1/2 cups
Sugar – 3 tbsp
Saffron – 5 strands
Pistachio – 1 tbsp chopped for garnish
- Rinse basmati rice and soak in water for few mins.Soak badam in water,then remove the skin.Drain water from rice and transfer almonds,rice to a mixer jar along with little milk.Grind it to a semi coarse paste.When you touch it you should be able to feel the texture.Set aside.
- Take a heavy bottomed wide pan and boil milk.Let it simmer for 10mins,When its reduced add the rice badam mixture.
- Take a tbsp of warm milk in a bowl and soak saffron , set aside.Cook for few mins until rice is cooked.Check whether rice is cooked soft, else cook for 5more mins.Once rice is cooked add sugar.Give a stir.
- Now add saffron milk and let it simmer.Once the mixture is thick more like pudding consistency switch off.
- From this step its all done off the stove.Let it cool down.Meanwhile take chopped mangoes in a mixer and grind to a smooth paste.
- Add this mango pulp to the cooled rice pudding.Mix well.If you feel its too thick, then add little milk.
- Stir well.Spoon the mixture into any serving bowl.Traditionally phirni is served in earthern pots so I used my terracotta bowls.Garnish with chopped nuts and saffron strands.Chill it atleast for an hour and Serve.
Serve chilled ….yummm!!
- Mango Phirni is more like pudding so I grinded the rice to a smooth mildy coarse paste as its supposed to be.
- Keep mixing continuously in low flame after rice paste is added else it will form lumps.
- Add nuts of your choice, I used almonds and pistachios.
- Its preferable to use Full Cream Milk, I used Aavin green packet.
- If you have missed the final consitency the Mango Phirni will be very thick so add few tbsp milk to make it to the right consistency before pouring into serving bowls to set.
- Adjust sugar quantity as per your mango sweetness.
- Use a heavy bottomed pan or even nonstick pan.I used my steel pan.