Kulfi recipe with step by step pictures.Kulfi is a frozen creamy dessert with milk and nuts as base.The authentic kulfi recipe is made with nuts,reduced full cream milk and khoya so wanted to replicate it, tried it few times and finally yes I nailed it!
This kulfi recipe is quite easy to make with available ingredients but sure tastes delicious.Kulfi is called by different names malai kulfi or kesar malai kulfi, this recipe is made with khoya tastes so rich,creamy and delicious.
There are different types of kulfi recipes, I have already posted mango kulfi, kesar badam kulfi,so thought to share this kulfi recipe year.It is not only easy but hygenic to make kulfi at home so do try and surprise your kids,am sure they will enjoy homemade kulfi.
According to Wikipedia : Kulfi was traditionally prepared by evaporating sweetened and flavoured milk via slow cooking, with almost continuous stirring to keep milk from sticking to the bottom of the vessel where it might burn, until its volume was reduced by a half, thus thickening it, increasing its fat, protein, and lactose density.
kulfi recipe using khoya and milk,easy to make kulfi recipe.
- 2 cups full cream milk
- 1/4 cup sugar (heaped)
- 10 nos almonds
- 10 nos pista
- 1/2 no cardamom
- a pinch of saffron
- 1/4 cup unsweetened khoya
Grind together sugar,almonds,pistachios together to a slightly coarse mixture,Set aside.Get ready with your thandai masala powder.If you don't have it in stock then check instant thandai recipe.
Boil milk in a pan.Simmer for 15 mins till milk reduces.Stir in between to avoid burning at the bottom.Now add thandai masala powder.Let it boil for a good 5mins.
Now strain then again add milk to the pan and add nuts sugar mixture.Add saffron.
Keep cooking in low flame.Ina separate bowl take cornflour along with a tbsp of milk.Mix well to form a smooth runny paste.
Now add the cornflour mixture.Keep cooking till it coats the laddle as shown.
Cool down completely.Then pour it in kulfi moulds / popsicle moulds...I used my kulfi shaped popsicle moulds.Wrap with silver foil,insert icecream stick and freeze for 6-8 hrs atleast, I always freeze it overnight.
Then show the popsicles side part under running tap water.Slowly remove the kulfis and serve immediately.
- Cornflour mixed with milk is added to thicken milk faster but that can be skipped too.
- If you add very little saffron the color will be dull ivory.
- You can grind the nuts coarsely, I made it fine just for mittus sake else she will start picking up the nuts to discard them.
- I recommend using full fat cream milk , don't use low fat milk.
- Dont have a popsicle mould?! dont worry use disposable plastic cups or even thick paper cups cling wrap aluminium foil and us icecream sticks and freeze it.It demoulds easily or you can even cut the cups,tear it to get the popsicles out.
- If you are serving only 2-3 popsicles and want the rest to be stored then again close it with aluminum foil and freeze it.
- For easy demoulding - show the popsicle moulds in running tap water, then pull the stick out slowly to get the ice pops clean.
- Grind together sugar,almonds,pistachios,saffron and cardamom together to a slightly coarse mixture,Set aside.Boil milk in a pan.
- Simmer for 15 mins till milk reduces.Stir in between to avoid burning at the bottom.Now add nuts sugar mixture.
- Add khoya and cook for few more mins.Malai will start collecting.
- Scrap the sides and keep cooking till the mixture is thick and creamy like shown below.
- Keep cooking. till it coats the laddle as shown..Cool down completely.Then pour it in kulfi moulds / popsicle moulds…I used my kulfi shaped popsicle moulds.
- Wrap with silver foil,inser icecream stick and freeze for 6-8 hrs atleast, I always freeze it overnight.Then show the popsicles side part under running tap water.Slowly remove the kulfis and serve.
One of the best summer desserts that you and your kids can enjoy!!
Creamy,rich and delicious ready…who is ready to grab a bite?! 🙂