I am really not sure why it is called ‘Kulfi icecream’ , it should be just ‘Kulfi Ice‘ yes there is difference between icecream and ice. Icecream is very soft and creamy that will melt in your mouth whereas ice / popsicle has the frozen crystals while biting into.
Recipe Category: Dessert | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Full Cream Milk – 1/2 litre(2 cups)
Sugar – 1/4 cup heaped
Cornflour – 1 tsp
Badam – 10 nos
Pista – 6 nos
Cardamom – 1
Saffron – a pinch
Unsweetened Khoya – 1/4 cup
- Soak badam for few mins in hot water.Peel the skin.In a blender take sugar,almonds,pista,cardamom and saffron.
- Grind it to a coarse mixture.Boil milk in a pan and simmer for 15-20mins.stir in between to avoid burning at the bottom.
- Keep stirring.When it becomes thick and creamy add sugar nuts mixture and simmer.
- Take a tsp of cornflour in a bowl add water to a smooth watery mixture.Add this to the simmering milk.
- Keep cooking until it starts to thicken, now crush khoya and add it.
- Keep cooking. till it coats the laddle as shown.Cool down completey.Then pour it in kulfi moulds / popsicle moulds…I used only popsicle moulds that suited kulfi ice shape.
- Cover it with silver foil then freeze for an hr.Then insert icecream sticks and freeze it for atleast 6 hrs.I poured in 4 , inserted icecream sticks other 2 I poured in another mould to serve for mittu.Then show the mould in running tap water then gently pull the sticks to remove the kulfis.
- Cornflour mixed with milk is added to thicken milk faster but that can be skipped too.
- You can grind the nuts coarsely, I made it fine just for mittus sake else she will start picking up the nuts to discard them.
- I recommend using full fat cream milk , don’t use low fat milk.
- Dont have a popsicle mould?! dont worry use disposable plastic cups or even thick paper cups cling wrap aluminium foil and us icecream sticks and freeze it.It demoulds easily or you can even cut the cups,tear it to get the popsicles out.
- If you are serving only 2-3 popsicles and want the rest to be stored then again close it with aluminum foil and freeze it.
- For easy demoulding – show the popsicle moulds in running tap water, then pull the stick out slowly to get the ice pops clean.