All of us at home like podi very much,mittu can live with podi for days together yes she loves it so much.So I make sure to make idli podi as soon as it gets over.I have always tried to make garlic podi like the store bought ones but have failed miserably as it would become moist/ pastey.Now have got the trick…yayy!!
Garlic Podi Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Breakfast | Recipe Cuisine: World
Urad Dal – 1/8 cup
Channa Dal – 1/2 cup
Coriander Seeds – 1 tbsp(optional)
Garlic chopped – 1/3 cup
Red Chillies – around 12(Iused Kashmiri Red Chillies)
Gingelly Oil – 1/2 tsp
Rock Salt – to taste
- Measure and Get ready with all your ingredients.In a pan roast urad dal till golden,Set aside.
- Then add channa dal along with red chillies and dry roast it. until golden,Set aside to cool.Now add coriander seeds and dry roast till golden.,Set aside to cool.
- Add a tsp of oil and roast garlic till golden and crisp.
- Transfer to a mixer,ground to a coarse mixture then add rock salt and grind to a semi fine powder.Transfer to a plate and let it cool completely.
Cool down and store in an airtight container.Mix with gingelly oil and serve with hot idlis…bliss!!:)
- Slow roast all the ingredients, do not burn them.
- As my 1/2 measuring cup was missing I used 1/4 cup for channa dal just for photosake, then added another 1/4 cup while roasting.
- Roasting red chillies with dal ensures even roasting and will not burn red chillies.My mother always insists not to roast red chillies alone.
- Adjust spice level according to ur preference.
- It keeps well for 2-3 months in room temperature.