Tomato Thokku is a great sidedish for idli, dosa, chapathi and even for rice.It goes well with pretty much everything, next to podi I love such thokku varieties to store as it helps when you are busy during the morning hours to make an elaborate breakfast.
This is great to store and keeps well for few days even without refrigeration, so great for travel too.I made this thokku today and we had it with idli and I packed it with chapathi for hubby.
I bought this kutty bowl from Chennai during my last trip and I love it so much, you know the reason right yes it comes under the shade of brown yayy !! 🙂
Tomato Thokku Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sweet | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Tomatoes – 4
Jaggery Syrup – 1 tsp(optional)
Cooking Oil – 1 tbsp
Salt – to taste
To roast and grind:
Fenugreek Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Red Chillies – 3
Tamarind – 1/2 tsp(optional)
- Dry roast fenugreek seeds until golden brown,Set aside.Then add red chillies and tamarind roast for 2mins.Cool down and transfer to a mixer.
- Grind it to a coarse powder,Set aside.Wash the tomatoes,trim the edges and chop them finely.Heat a tsp of oil in a kadai add tomatoes.
- Saute for few mins till it becomes mushy.Once it starts to shrink,add salt and keep cooking.
- Add remaining oil and cook for few more mins.Once it is thick add the spice powder and keep cooking.
- Cook till oil starts to ooze out at the edges and the mixture is thick like thokku.Finally add jaggery syrup and cook for 2mins and switch off.
Cool down and Store in a clean container.
- Use ripe tomatoes.
- Skip tamarind if your tomatoes are sour.
- Use a thick bottomed kadai, I used Calcutta kadai which has a thick bottom.
- I used gingelly oil, you can use any cooking oil.
- I just made a small batch as I didn’t plan to store.You can make in bulk and store.Keeps well in fridge for 10 days.
- I used Kashmiri Red Chillies so used 3, you can reduce if you are using normal chillies.