I always make Methi Thepla as all of us like it but when I have both peas and methi I ocassionally make this gravy too as its mittus favorite.
It is a delicious gravy with a smooth and creamy texture perfect to dip and polish the gravy with phulkas and thats what we did too 🙂 This is one gravy which was sitting in drafts so thought to post it now.We had it with phulka and rice.
Methi Matar Malai Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: North Indian
Oil – 2 tsp
Jeera – 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon – 1/2 inch piece
Cloves – 2
Cashews – 2 tbsp broken
Big Onion – 2 chopped lengthwise
Green Chilli – 1
- Clean methi leaves, chop it roughly,Set aside.Steam cook matar, you can pressure cook too,Set aside.Take a pan add a tsp of oil and saute onions till transparent,then add green chilli.
- Cool down and Transfer to a mixer jar along with cashews and grind to a smooth paste,Set aside.Dry saute methi leaves for 2mins until it shrinks.
- Heat oil in a pan, add jeera,cinnamon,cloves let it crackle,then add ginger garlic paste saute for a minute.Then add onion cashew paste,saute for 2mins in low flame.
- Then add peas and sauted methi leaves,cook for 2mins until it becomes slightly thick.Add garam masala powder.
- Add fresh cream,required salt and simmer for a good 5mins.
- Then add milk,Let the gravy boil in low flame for 2mins.Add kasoori methi and switch off.
- The gravy is thick and creamy.
- I used my steamer to cook peas, you can pressure cook for 2 whistles too.I used resh green peas,you can use frozen too in that case add it along with methi leaves to the gravy no need to precook it.
- Adding cream gives a creamy and rich restaurant flavour.I used homemade fresh cream.
- If you want low fat version reduce cream and add more milk but sure the taste will differ.
- Use fresh methi leaves for best flavour.