Last week, I made this ladoo and everyone at home enjoyed it.I used sugar for coconut ladoo recipe so wanted to try with jaggery this time as I am replacing sugar with jaggery / cane sugar in all possible recipes.It worked so well as khoya and jaggery paired up so well.
Khoya Coconut Ladoo Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sweet | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Unsweetened Khoya – 3/4 cup tightly packed
Dessicated Coconut* – 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp for rolling
Jaggery – 3/4 cup , Water – 1/3 cup
Cardamom powder – a pinch(optional) – I didn’t add.
- Soak jaggery in warm water(till immersing level) , crush it well. Then heat it up until it is slightly thick (no string consistency needs to be checked).Cool down, then Strain and keep aside.
- Take the jaggery syrup in a pan and heat it up.Cook till it bubbles up and is slightly thick like honey in consistency.At this stage add khoya.
- Keep mixing till it becomes a goey mass and starts bubbling and gets thick.When it starts to thicken, add dessicated coconut.
- Keep mixing till all the moisture is absorbed, the mixture will become thick.At this stage add cardamom powder and switch off.
- Let it cool down for few mins.When its still warm,make small ladoos.Roll the ladoos in dessicated coconut.Place them in mini cupcake liners and let it to set.
Keeps well for 3 days in room temperature itself!
- If you are using fresh coconut then roast the coconut till golden then add condensed milk.
- Do not overcook just switch off once everything comes together.Else the ladoos will turn hard and lose melt in the mouth texture.
- The ladoo keeps well for atleast 3 days in room temperature.May be after that you can refrigerate it.
- I reserved around 1/4 cup of the cooked khoya coconut mixture to eaten as such so did’nt make ladoos so got 10 ladoos.
- You can add any nuts and dry fruits of your choice.