Murungai Keerai Adai Recipe
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Raw Rice – 1/2 cup
Idli Rice – 1/2 cup
Toor dal – 1/4 cup
Chana dal – 1/4 cup
Moong dal – 1.5 tbsp
Urad dal -1/8 cup
Red chillies – 2
Hing – a generous pinch
Fennel Seeds – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – a tiny pinch
Small Onion – 1/4 cup chopped finely
Curry Leaves – few torn into pieces
Drumstick Leaves – 1 cup loosely packed
Salt – to taste
- Take all the ingredients listed under ‘to soak’ in a mixing bowl, soak it in water till immersing level.Soak for atleast 3-4 hrs.Drain water and set aside.
- Clean drumstick leaves, separate from stem, rinse it well and set aside.Grind red chillies,fennel seeds along with soaked dal to a slightly coarse paste,Add a pinch of hing, mix and Set aside.
- Saute drumstick leaves till it shrinks.Add it along with chopped onion , turmeric powder to the batter,Add little water and Mix well.Add required salt.The batter should be slightly runny in between idli and dosa batter consistency.
- Heat the dosa pan,grease with little oil, pour a laddle full of batter and spread it evenly a bit thick.Drizzle oil over the sides and let it cook, flip over other side and cook till golden brown and crisp at the edges.
Serve hot with any chutney of your choice.
- Make sure to cook on one side , only then flip over to other side else it will stick and will not be easy to turn over.
- No need of standing time,you can make adais instantly once you have the batter.
- The batter keeps well for 2 days if refrigerated but as drumstick leaves are added it is advisable to use it within a day.
- You can make thick adais or thin crispy dosa kinds.If you want to make thin adai dosas then make the batter little thin so that spreading is easy.
- I used my cast iron dosa pan so the edges were nicely crisp.
- You can even add a tbsp of grated coconut to the batter.