I have tried quite a few baking recipes from Divyas though have posted only few as I’ve always had only hits with her baking recipes.This is the first nonbaking recipe I am trying from her site and am pretty happy with the outcome.
Chettinad Mushroom Biryani Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian Reference:EasyCooking
Basmati Rice – 1 cup
Mushrooms – 150 gms
Onions – 1 big sliced thin
Coconut Milk – 1/2 cup
Water – 2 cups
For the Marinade:
Curd – 1/3 cup
Tomatoes – 2 roughly chopped
Ginger Garlic paste – 1 heaped tsp
Red chilly powder – 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
Garam masala powder – 1 tsp
Salt – to taste
Mint and Coriander leaves – 1/4 cup each
For the seasoning:
Ghee – 1 tbsp
Oil – 1 tbsp
Cinnamon – 1/2′ stick
Cloves – 2
Bayleaf – 1/2
Cardamom – 1
Star Anise – 1
Jeera – 1/2 tsp
Fennel seeds – 1/2 tsp
- In a mixing bowl, add the ingredients listed under ‘for the marinade’ along with mushroom.
- Mix well and marinade , I forgot to add ginger garlic paste so added it finally and let it to marinade,Set aside.In a pan add sliced onions and fry till dark brown and crispy,Set aside.
- Soak basmati rice for 30mins,Set aside.Now get ready with your spices to temper.In a pan heat oil + ghee(just reserve a tsp and add) – add the spices and let it splutter.
- By now the mushrooms would have let out water in the marinade, add it to the pan and let it boil and cook for 5mins in low flame.Now add coconut milk.
- Drain water from basmati rice and add it.Mix well.Add required salt.
- Add water and cook covered for 10-15mins or until the water is fully absorbed by the rice and cooked fully.Now keep closed and undisturbed for another 15mins.Then fluff it up, add fried onions and mix it.Take care not to break the rice while mixing.
Garnish with coriander leaves while serving.Serve hot with onion raita!
- You can use the same recipe for veg biryani too.
- While cooking covered take care not to burn, use a heavy bottomed pan or nonstick pan.
- You can use 2 tbsp coconut milk / curd while sauteing the veggies for extra flavour.