I love the salt and sweet biscuits that is sold in bakeries.I have already tried masala version of these biscuits and it was perfect for tea time.So I decided to tweak that recipe and here is my version of sweet and salt biscuits that I tried long back.These are the set of cookie cutters that I mentioned here.
Sweet and Salt Biscuits
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Plain flour (Maida) – 1 cup
Butter – 1/3 cup(at room temperature)
Salt – 3/4 tsp
Powdered Sugar – 3 tbsp
Milk – 1/4 cup minus 1 tbsp
- In a mixing bowl – take butter and powdered sugar.Whisk it well without any lumps.Now add flour.
- After adding the flour, salt,mix well then add milk and bring it together to form a soft dough.Allow it to rest for 15mins.
- Now using a rolling pin,roll the dough to a slightly thin layer about 1/8 inch thickness.Preheat oven at 180 deg C for 10mins.Cut using a cookie cutter of your choice.Collect the scrap and repeat the same.
- Arrange this in a baking tray,prick holes with a fork to avoid puffing.Bake in the same temperature for 12-15 mins or until it turns golden.
Store in an airtight container.
- Do not knead too much just knead to bring it together thats enough else the cookies will turn out hard.
- Do not roll thick.
- These biscuits are mildy sweet, if you want increase sugar.
- You can jeera / ajwain for flavored biscuits.
- The timing depends on the thickness of the cookies so keep an eye after 10mins, when it starts to brown at the edges switch off.
- Keeps well for about a week in airtight container.
- My cookie cutters are very small so got many cookies.So the quantity depends on the type and size of cookie cutter you use.
- I did not have butter paper so baked directly in the tray but I recommend laying a baking sheet / butter paper / aluminium foil