Thattapayaru is also cowpeas,you can check more about the legume here.
Thatta payaru Sundal Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Thattapayaru – 1/2 cup
Fresh Grated Coconut- 2 tbsp
Salt – to taste
To roast and grind:
Coriander Seeds – 1 tbsp
Pepper corns- 1/2 tsp
Red Chilli – 3 to 4
Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard seeds – 3/4 tsp
Jeera – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – a small sprig
Hing – a tiny pinch
- Dry roast thattapayaru for just 3 mins or until nice aroma comes.Pressure cook for 5 whistles in medium flame or until it becomes soft but don’t make it mushy.Drain water and set aside.
- Dry roast the ingredients listed under ‘to roast and grind’ till slightly golden then let it cool down.Grind it to a semi coarse mixture.
- Heat oil in a pan – add the items listed under ‘to temper’ let it crackle.Then add thattapayaru along with salt and the spice powder(I didn’t add fully just added half of it)
- Toss it well and cook for 2mins in low flame.Then add grated coconut and give a quick mix.Switch off.
Serve hot / warm as a evening snack!
- Adjust spice level according to your taste buds.
- Roasting and cooking the legume lends great flavour to the sundal.
- Do not overcook the legume and make it mushy, it should be cooked soft at the same time not mushy.