I made this idli fry(deep fried version)in the morning and then served it for mittu as evening after school snack, still the crispness was there and she loved it.I had the baked version soon after the photo shoot itself, it was super spicy and yum.
Idli Fry Recipe
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Idli – 2
Oil – 1 tbsp
Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt – to taste
Deep Fried Version:
Idli – 2
Oil – to deep fry
Chat Masala Powder – as needed
- If your idlis are fresh then refrigerate for atleast an hr then cut it.If you are using a day old idlis then you can directly proceed.Cut the idlis lengthwise,Set aside.Preheat oven at 180 deg C.Take a plate add oil,salt,red chilli powder and garam masala powders, mix it well.Now coat the idli pieces with this spice mix.I used 2 idlis for deep frying and 2 for baking.
- Coat such that the spice mix is even both sides.Arrange the idli pieces in a baking tray.Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg C for 10-12 mins or until the edges start to turn crisp, turn over to other side inbetween.
- For the deep fried version – Heat oil in a kadai, add the idli peices and deep fry them till golden brown.Drain in tissue paper.Sprinkle chat masala powder and serve.
- Using a day old idli works best.I used fresh idlis so refrigerated for a while then used.
- If you use fresh idlis as such it may start sticking while frying in oil.
- While deep frying take care to fry the smaller pieces in a batch then bigger pieces in another batch.
- The spice powders are your preference.Adjust to your liking.
- The baked version is a little spicy, so adjust spice level according to your taste buds.
- You can also tawa fry the idlis.