Javvarisi Semiya Payasam
Recipe Category: Sweet | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Sago – 1/3 cup
Vermicelli – 1/2 cup
Crushed Jaggery – 1 cup, Water – 3/4 cup
Full Cream Milk – 2 cups
Ghee – 2 tsp
Water – as required to cook sago and vermicelli
Cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
Cashews – 8 broken
Raisins – 1 tbsp
- Soak jaggery in warm water, crush it well. Then heat it up until it is slightly thick (no string consistency needs to be checked).Cool down, strain and keep aside.
- Soak sago for atleast 2 hours, just sprinkle water don’t add more.Drain water, rinse sago well and cook in water(till immersing level).Cook till the sago pearls turn transparent.Drain and set aside.
- In a pan roast vermicelli till golden,Then 1 cup water and cook till it gets cooked to soft texture.
- Take both cooked sago and vermicelli in a pan.Add jaggery syrup and heat it up.Cook for 3-5mins in low flame.Then add cardamom powder.
- Switch off and let it cool down.Meanwhile fry cashews and raisins till golden brown.Boil milk and set aside to cool.
- Once milk is cooled down add it to jaggery mixture and mix well.Finally add ghee fried cashews,raisins and mix well.This step can be done off the stove to avoid curdling.
Serve hot / warm!
- Soaking sago helps in easy and fast cooking.But if you are using the nylon variety sago no need to soak.
- The quantity of sago and vermicelli depends on your liking.
- When milk is added to hot jaggery syrup there are chances for curdling so I make sure to cool down a bit then add it.Else you can keep the flame in low then add milk.
- I used full cream milk so did’nt reduce it further.If you feel your milk is little runny then let it simmer to make it thick and creamy.