Rajma Chawal Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: North Indian
Basmati Rice – 1/2 cup
Rajma – 1/2 cup
Jeera – 1/4 tsp
Big Onion – 1 small
Ginger Garlic paste – 1/2 tsp
Red Chilli powder – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 3/4 tsp
Chana Masala powder – 1 tsp
Coriander Leaves – 2 tsp finely chopped
Oil – 2 tsp
Salt – to taste
To grind together:
Tomato – 2 medium sized chopped roughly
Ginger – 1/2 inch piece
Garlic – 4
Ghee – 1 tbsp
Jeera – 1/2 tsp
Green Chilli – 1 finely chopped
- Soak rajma in water overnight or atleast for 8 hrs. Drain and discard the water. Grind the ingredients listed under ‘to grind’ to a smooth paste.
- While you start making the gravy, soak rice for 30mins atleast and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles with 1:1.5 ratio, fluff the rice and set aside.In a pressure cooker, heat oil add 1/4 tsp jeera let it splutter then add ginger garlic paste fry for 2mins.
- Then add chopped onion and saute till transparent then add tomato puree along with the spice powders(red chilli,coriander and chana masala powders) let it boil for 3mins or until the raw smell of tomatoes slightly leave.
- Drain water from rajma and add it.Add 1 cup of water and pressure cook for 1 whistle in medium flame then simmer and give 5-6 whistles(depends on the variety of rajma) without adding salt.
- Once pressure releases add required salt, heat a tadka pan with ghee, add jeera and green chillies let it splutter, pour this tadka over the gravy, mix well then garnish with coriander leaves.
Mix with hot steamed rice and enjoy rajma chawal!
- In the orginal recipe I referred , rajma masala powder was used. I didnt have it so replaced it with chana masala powder.
- You can have the gray with rotis or phulkas too, tastes great!
- I cooked rajma until soft and not mushy.If you want you can cook it for extra few whistles mash the rajma and let the gravy boil for few mins to make the gravy more thicker.
- Adjust spice level according to your taste.