Red Velvet Chocolate Pudding is a very easy and impressive dessert that you can make for valentines day to treat your special person or your kids.Actually I planned for a cookie (which I will be posting tomorrow) to post for valentines day but yesterday when I was cleaning the pantry saw a full pack of custard powder kept untouched so thought to make some pudding with it. I always wanted to try red velvet recipes seeing the bright tempting color so the idea of making Red Velvet Chocolate Pudding came live today.
I have seen many red velvet recipes using beets as base so confidently went ahead with it, also I had no food color matching the color of red velvet so had to go with what I had in hand.I was a bit skeptical whether there will be after taste of beets in the pudding, but to my surprise no one found the secret ingredient and I happily said I used food color for achieving this color 😉
I had some chores to be completed so had to complete the clicks quickly today and couldn’t wait for the pudding to set as you see it gooey in the pics.
Red Velvet Chocolate Pudding Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Spread | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Milk – 1 and 1/2 cup + 1/2 cup
Custard powder(vanilla flavored) – 3 tbsp
Beetroot – 1/2 or (1/4 cup pureed)
Cocoa powder – 2 tbsp
Choco Chip – 2 tbsp
Sugar – 1/8 cup + 2 tbsp
Vanilla essence – 1/4 tsp
Chocolate Semiya, Color Sprinkles – for garnish
- Chop beets roughly and pressure cook along with little water for 4 whistles or until mushy.Cool down, strain water and collect the beets in a mixer and grind it a smooth paste.Mix with the reserved water, and set aside.In a mixing bowl – take custard powder,coco powder,sugar and beets puree.
- Add 1/2 cup milk and whisk it well.Add vanilla essence and whisk well without any lumps.All this should be done off the stove
- Boil milk in a pan, now add chocolate beets mixture and keep whisking.Keep in low flame and whisk it well continuously else lumps will start forming.
- When the mixture starts to thicken slightly add chocochips and mix well.The mixture will further thicken, when you scrap it should easily leave the sides of the pan without sticking.
- It will coat the laddle well, it will thick,creamy and shiny at this stage switch off. Wash the moulds well and keep it ready.Scoop the pudding and fill it in the desired cups.Chill the pudding atleast for an hour or until serving time.
- After setting for a hour the pudding can be easily demouldable.I clicked it as soon I poured the pudding so it was goey, either way it tastes delicious.
- You can replace custard powder with cornflour too.
- A layer of pudding skin forms so if you like it then refrigerate as such without covering.If you dont like pudding skin wrap the pudding bowls/cups with a cling wrap and then refriegerate.
- To supress the beets flavour adding choco chips is must also it gives a nice chocolatey flavour.You can replace it with choco sauce / chocolate shavings too.
- If you prefer add some chopped nuts to the pudding and then set it.
- The color depends on the beetroot color and the coco powder color.I used Hersheys coco powder and it lent a great flavour and color too.