When I started listing out recipes to try for this Diwali 2014, most of the recipes I listed were easy to make for beginners as few of my friends requested me to post easy diwali sweets and snacks.So stay tuned for the diwali special posts 🙂
Chocolate Peda Recipe
Recipe Category: Lunch | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Maida – 1/4 cup
Milk powder – 2 tbsp
Ghee – 2 tbsp
Sugar – 1/2 cup
Coco powder – 1 heaped tsp
Water – 1/4 cup
Pistachios – 2 tsp roughly chopped
- Heat ghee once it is smoking hot add maida and switch off.
- Mix well and cook in the preheat till maida is fried well,Break the lumps if it forms, Set aside.In a pan add sugar and water and start preparing the syrup once it reaches a stage where it starts to give a stickiness when you take the syrup between your finger that is the correct stage….it will form half string.Once you stretch your fingers the thread will disappear soon…..that is the correct stage.Add coco powder and switch off.
- Take the pan from the stove and keep it aside.Yes you need to cook it off the stove.Whisk it well so that there are no lumps.Now add ghee fried maida.
- Mix well, then add milk powder and keep stirring so that it starts to thicken, it will form a grainy mixture.
- Once it is thick and comes together as a whole mass.Leave aside for 5mins to cool down.Grease your hands with ghee and shape them into small balls and make a dent in the center.Add chopped pistachios in the dent and let it to set.
Serve chilled or warm.
- If you have missed the perfect half string consistency then even after adding maida, the mixture will not thicken at all.In that case add more milk powder and keep stirring to get the desired dough thickness.But everything should be done off the stove.
- The mixture will thicken fast so act quickly.Once maida mixture is added whisk it once then add the milk powder at once.
- When you start making the peads, the mixture will be slightly sticky, grease and then start forming pedas.
- If the mixture is sticky and does not form balls then add more milk powder.If the mixture is very thick add little milk to get the desired consistency.
- You can even garnish with cashews or any nuts as per your wish.
- Use good quality coco powder.Do not add more than the mentioned amount else the pedas will turn bitter.
- Keep mixing well with a whisk to avoid lumps.
- Keeps well for about a week, but needs refrigeration after the first 2 days of making.