The first recipe I wanted to try for this Ganesh Chaturthi 2014 was this cute little ammini kozhukattais and the new serving bowl added on to my temptation that I clicked it the very next day I bought this leaf shaped bowl 🙂
Sweet Ammini Kozhukattai Recipe
Recipe Category: Sweet | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Rice Flour – 1/2 cup
Water – 1/3 cup(for jaggery syrup) + as required to make the dough
Jaggery – 1/4 cup
Coconut – 3 tbsp
Ghee – 1 tsp
Sesame seeds – 2 tbsp
Cardamom powder – a tiny pinch
- Measure and take rice flour, add a pinch of salt to it….Boil water once it bubbles up rigourously switch off. Add it little by little to the rice flour and keep stirring.Mix it with a laddle till it gathers to a smooth dough.
- Allow it to cool for 2-3 mins and once you are able to bear the heat of the dough, knead it to a smooth dough.Then slightly grease your hands with oil and shape them into small balls.Keep the dough covered to avoid it from drying.Make small balls till the entire dough gets over.
- Grease your steamer plate or idli plate with oil and arrange the balls and Steam it for 7-10mins or until the kozhukattais are cooked.Meanwhile dry roast coconut for 2mins set aside, then dry roast sesame seeds till slightly golden,set aside.
- Melt jaggery syrup in water, strain to remove impurities.Heat up the jaggery syrup in medium flame.
- Once the syrup turns sticky more like honey consistency add the jaggery balls give a quick mix then add roasted coconut and sesame seeds, add cardamom powder cook for 2mins until the mixture forms a sticky coating.Finally add a tsp of ghee and Switch off.
Serve hot / warm.While serving sprinkle more sesame seeds and enjoy!
- I used readymade idiyappam flour, Nirapara brand. You can even use homemade rice flour.
- The water quantity depends on the rice flour quality so adjust accordingly.
- Add hot water to jaggery so that it dissolves quickly.
- Dont let the rice flour mixture dry, keep covered and shape the kozhukattais.I just made 1/2 cup so the shaping was done in few minutes but while doing in bulk make sure you keep it covered with a slightly wet cloth.
- Dont steam for more time , it will make the kozhukattais rubbery and hard.Also dont cook for more time in jaggery syrup, just toss and let the syrup coat the kozhukattais that’s enough.
- You can even add a tsp of ghee and roast cashews and raisins and add it.
- Adding sesame seeds give a nutty crunch while eating which I loved it so don’t skip it.