Check out my kambu koozh and kambu thayir sadam that I posted a while back.I clicked this kambu sadam along with kambu thayir sadam but it has taken so long to post this kambu sadam.I love this kambu rice with spicy puli kuzhambu or with curd.
Kambu Sadam Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Pearl Millet (Kambu) – 1/2 cup (I used broken kambu)
Water – 2 cups
Note: If you have whole kambu,then sprinkle little water over it and leave it for 15mins then grind it in a mixer to make it coarse…just 2-3 pulse is enough
- I used broken kambu so used it as such.Rinse the kambu well.Boil 2 cups of water in a thick bottomed vessel when it starts to boil add kambu.Let it boil and cook.
- Cover and cook in low medium flame Stir in between to prevent it sticking to the bottom.At one stage the millet will become soft absorbing all the water.
Serve with raw onion or vadams or pickle of your choice or with any kuzhambu of your choice.
- If you prefer eating the millet with grains separated then dry roast raw kambu for few mins then cook it with water.I like my millet a bit mushy so I don’t roast it.
- The water quantity may slightly increase like, it may take 2 to 2.5 cups depending on the kambu variety.
- I usually get millets from Nilgiris or any trusted supermarket so that they are clean.Else you need to clean it to check for small stones.
- You can serve it with any kuzhambu of your choice or sambar or puli kuzhambu.
- You can even make variety rice like sambar sadam or thayir sadam.
- It usually gets thick after cooling down so switch off accordingly.
- If you want to pressure cook then cook it in the ratio 1 cup bajra:3.5 cups water.Pressure cook for 3-4 whistles in low medium flame.
- The water quantity depends on the variety of kambu and method you use to cook kambu.
- I usually don’t add salt, if you want add it as per your preference.