One thing I love about sub sandwiches is their variety of breads with our favorite choice of stuffing and sauces and this honey oats bread has become my favorite.I have tasted this twice and I wanted to try this bread at home and the new yeast which my friend got was a great motivation factor for trying out this bread.
I was planning to click something else the other day and that’s when I saw this yeast and I couldn’t wait so set out to make the bread atonce.I googled for recipes but most of them had eggs in it and I wanted a eggless version so tweaked the pizza base recipe and came up with this one and I can say it was 85% same as the subway bread yayyy!! I was so happy and content after baking this bread :)) The bread was my main attraction so didn’t bother much about the stuffing and just stuffed with the available ingredients in my pantry.
Honey Oats Bread Subway Sandwich Recipe
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: World
For the bread:
Wheat Flour / Multigrain Flour – 1 cup
Quick Cooking Oats – 1/4 cup (I used Quaker)
Maida – 1/4 cup
Instant Yeast – 1 tsp
Water – 1/4 cup
Milk – 1/4 cup
Olive Oil – 1/8 cup
Salt – 1/8 tsp
Honey – 1.5 tbsp
For the stuffing:
Tomato – few slices
Cucumber – few slices
Boiled Sweet Corn – 1/4 cup
Curd(Yogurt)- 1/4 cup
Oregano – 1/4 tsp
Tomato Sauce – 1 tsp
- Grind oats to a fine powder.In a mixing bowl add wheat flour,oats flour, maida,yeast, salt and whisk it well.
- Now add milk,oil, honey and water.Mix well and knead it to form a smooth pilable dough.Keep it in a warm place undisturbed for an hr.When u check after 2 hrs, the dough would have been raised.Now punch it down incase for any air bubbles.
- Preheat the oven for 180 degree Celsius for 10 mins.Divide the dough into 2 large rolls or 3 smaller ones like how I have did.Just roll it smooth.In a bowl add milk, honey mix well and keep aside.Arrange the prepared rolls on the baking tray and make splits(not too deep just press it slightly) with a knife.Brush it with prepared milk honey mixture.
- Sprinkle oats on top of the rolls.Bake in preheated oven at 200 deg Celcius for 20-25mins until the top turns golden brown.Cool down completely and then slice the roll into 2.
- Add curd , tomato sauce and oregano in a mixing bowl and whisk it well,Set aside.Now between the 2 halves of the sandwich first place sliced tomatoes.
- Then add cucumber,sweet corn add the prepared yogurt sauce, then tomato sauce and serve the sandwich.
- If you are baking the rolls in advance then warm up the roll just before preparing the sandwich.
- The sandwich filling can be of your choice , I just used the ingredients I had in hand.You can add boiled egg slices or any patties or leftover cutlets or just fresh leafy vegetables just like how they serve in Subway.
- While you roll make sure to roll it smooth such that there are no cracks in the rolls, I didn’t notice the crack on one of my rolls while rolling so that roll had slight cracks on top as you can see in the pics.
- Don’t be tempted to overbake mine was done in 25mins.
- Brushing the top with milk gives nice browning.
- The dough shouldnt be sticky…if so then ur dough is watery so add in a little more flour. The dough shouldnt be very tight, if it is then the rolls will be hard.
- You can even lay aluminium foil or grease the tray with oil or drizzle some flour to avoid the rolls from sticking to the bottom.
- If you are using instant yeast no need to proof it, add it along with flour and just mix it just like I have done. But if you are using active dry yeast then proof it before proceeding.Check my pizza post for proofing of yeast.If you are using Active Dry Yeast then use 3/4 tsp for this recipe and let it rest for 2hrs.
- I rested just for an hour and it was raised but the resting time totally depends on the type of yeast you are using and the climatic conditions of your region.
- I used the instant yeast my friend got it from abroad and its Bake King brand.