Yesterday when I woke up, suddenly the idea of making poha sweet pongal striked me and here comes this post for pongal 2014 🙂 Aval Sakkarai Pongal is very simple and easy to make…It turned out delicious and I loved it to the core.
Poha Sweet Pongal Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sweet | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Aval – 1/2 cup
Moong Dal – 2.5 heaped tbsp
Milk – 1/8 cup
Jaggery – 1/3 cup (or) Jaggery Syrup – 1/2 cup
Ghee – 1 tbsp + 1 tsp(for roasting cashews,raisins)
Grated Coconut – 1 tbsp(optional)
Edible Camphor – a very tiny pinch (optional)
Cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
Cashews – 10 broken
Raisins – 15
- Dissolve jaggery in water, use hot water to dissolve easily. Then heat it up until for the remaining lumps to get dissolved, let it come to a rolling boil.
- Switch off and strain to remove impurities.Then add edible camphor(a very tiny pinch not more than that), cardamom, set aside.
- Roast cashews and raisins in ghee till golden brown,Set aside.Dry roast moong dal till golden brown and cook it with enough water till mushy,switch off.Mash it up well with a laddle.
- Add the prepared jaggery syrup to the mashed dal,mash it well so that the dal blends well with the syrup…Heat it up.Meanwhile rinse poha and soak it in water for 3mins.Once poha is soft, add it to the jaggery syrup along with coocnut.Let it boil for 2mins.
- Stir well and mash the poha well so that it blends well with the jaggery syrup.Then add milk and keep stirring till it reaches a semi thick consistency.Add ghee, and raosted cashews raisins(I reserved the remaining for garnish),switch off.
Serve hot with ghee drizzled and remaining cashews and raisins.
- I cooked dal in the same pan I roasted and it took some time to get cooked meanwhile I was grating jaggery :)Instead you can even pressure cook it for 3 whistles with enough water.
- Pongal gets thicker in consistency after cooling down so switch off accordingly. If it gets dry, while serving add little ghee and milk.
- I used paagu velam to get the dark brown color and also for the taste….You can use normal round jaggery too.
- You can also use saffron if you like the flavour.
- Drizzle ghee and garnish with cashews,raisins while serving, tastes yumm!!