Brinjal recipes have become a routine at home these days. After ennai kathirikai kulambu my fav is this Kathirikai Puli Kuzhambu....make some rice,a simple stir fry and you are done with your meal. There were days when I used to hate brinjals and now I wonder myself for being a great lover of brinjals :)
Kathrikai Puli Kuzhambu Recipe - IngredientsServes: 3Cooking Time: 45 mins
Brinjals - 8 to 10
Small Onion - 10
Garlic - 5 pearls
Coconut - 1/4 cup
Tamarind – 1 small lemon size
Red Chilli powder - 1.5 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - a generous pinch
Water - 1 cup
Salt - to taste
To temper:Oil -1 tbsp
Mustard Seeds - 3/4 tsp
Urad Dal - 1/2 tsp
Vadagam - 1 tsp
Red Chillies - 2
Curry leaves - few
1.In a pan heat oil - add the items under 'to temper' let it splutter then add onion and garlic saute till nicely browned.Meanwhile slit the brinjals like shown(a plus sign) and add the brinjals.2.Saute well till brinjals shrink, add water and let it get cooked.Add tamarind to water and mash it up well and extract the pulp.3.Add the tamarind pulp once brinjals turn soft, allow it to boil. Now add turmeric, red chilli and coriander powders.Add required salt.Grind coconut to a fine paste with little water.
- I dont add tomatoes for this kulambu but there is no harm adding it.
- Make sure you add the tamarind and coconut paste only after brinjals get cooked.
- You can add a 1/2 tsp of sambar powder too but make sure to reduce red chilli powder accordingly.
- You can even use other veggies like drumstick along with it.
- It is a spicy curry so adjust spice level accordingly.
- The color of the kuzhambu purely depends on the chilli powder you use.