I am rushing with onam recipes as we have planned for a 3 day trip to Chennai this weekend so thought to post the recipes soon as I dont want to miss the occasion 🙂
Inji Puli Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: Kerala
Ginger – 3/4 cup skin peeled and finely chopped
Green Chillies – 7 finely chopped
Fenugreek – 1/8 tsp
Tamarind – gooseberry sized ball
Jaggery syrup – 1.5 tbsp(optional)
Salt – to taste
Oil – 4 tbsp
Mustard Seeds – 3/4 tsp
Curry leaves – a sprig
Red Chillies – 2 broken
- Soak tamarind in 3/4 cup of warm water,set aside.Wash ginger, peel off the skin and chop it finely.Then trim the edges of green chillies and chop it finely too.Dry roast fenugreek till crisp and powder it,Set aside.In a pan heat oil – add the items listed under ‘to temper’ let it splutter.
- Then add ginger and green chillies and fry till nicely browned.Then filter and add tamarind water.Add required salt.
- Allow it to boil for few mins until raw smell leaves. After it starts to boil simmer and allow it to thicken more like a thokku.
- Once it starts to thicken add jaggery syrup and let it boil until oil seperates.Finally add fenugreek powder cook for 2mins then switch off.
Allow it to cool down then store in a clean bottle.
- Adjust spice level according to your taste.
- Oil should float as with any pickle so dont compromise on oil else it will get spoiled easily.
- I love jaggery in this but if you dont prefer the sweetness then skip it.
- Make sure you chop ginger and green chillies very finely so that it gets cooked easily.
- Inji Puli thickens after cooling down so switch off accordingly.
- You can refrigerate it and it keeps well for 2-3 weeks.Use clean spoon everytime.
- Jaggery syrup need not be very thick.Just dissolve jaggery in water and heat it up for 5mins,then strain and use it.