Happy Ramzan to all the readers who celebrate the festival!!
Chicken Biryani Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Basmati Rice – 1 cup
Chicken – 300 gms
Onion – 1 big chopped lengthwise
Tomato 1 small sized chopped roughly
Ginger-Garlic paste – 2 tsp
Garam Masala powder – 1.5 tsp
Red Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder – 2 tsp
Curd – 1 tbsp
Thin Coconut milk -1/2 cup
Water – 1 cup
Oil – 2 tbsp
Ghee – 1 tbsp
Salt – to taste
To grind to a paste:
Coriander leaves – 1/4 cup
Mint leaves – 1/4 cup loosely packed
Green Chillies – 1
Tomato – 1 big sized
Cloves – 3
Cinnamon – 1/4 inch piece
- Soak basmati rice in water for atleast 20mins, set aside.Grind the ingredients under ‘to grind’ with little water to a fine paste. Set aside. Clean chicken and rinse it thrice , add turmeric powder and set aside.
- Heat oil+ghee in a pressure cooker and add the items under ‘to temper’ then add ginger garlic paste and saute for a minute.Then add onion and saute till its golden brown. Then add tomato, saute till raw smell leaves.
- Then add coriander mint paste and saute for 2mins. Then add curd, chicken along with turmeric, red chilli,coriander,garam masala powders and required salt.
- Saute till it forms a thick gravy and chicken changes color.Add 1 cups of water and pressure cook for 4 whistles.Once pressure releases, open and give a quick stir.
- Drain water from rice and add it to the gravy, stir once. Then add coconut milk.
- Pressure cook for 3 whistles(After first whistle simmer it). Once pressure releases fluff it with a fork carefully without breaking the rice. Serve hot with onion raita.
Thalicha and onion raita are the best combination for non veg biriyani. I will post the thalicha recipe later.
- If you like the lemon flavour, squeeze lemon juice once the biryani is done.
- I usually use 1:1.5 cups for rice:water ratio so have given the measures accordingly. But you can use the measurement according to the variety of basmati rice you use. I use India Gate Basmati rice.
- Measure water and coconut milk accordingly.
- This is less spicy so adjust spice level according to your taste.