Dal Makhani Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: North Indian
Whole urad dhal(whole black lentil) – 1/2 cup
Rajma (kidney beans) – 3 tbsp
Onions – 1/2 cup finely chopped
Tomato puree – 1/2 cup
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
Garam masala powder – 1/4 tsp
Milk – 1/8 cup
Cream – 1/8 cup
Chopped coriander leaves – 1 tsp
Salt – to taste
Butter – 1 tbsp
Oil – 1 tsp
Jeera – 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon – 1/2 inch stick
Cardamom – 1
- Rinse and Soak urad dal with rajma overnight or atleast for 8 hrs.Pressure cook it urad dal+rajma along with cardamom,cloves and cinnamon(1 each) and water till immersing level for 6-7 whistles or till dals become mushy. Once pressure releases, open and mash it with a laddle,Keep aside. Heat oil + butter in a pan, add the items under ‘to temper’.I used the whole spices that I used while pressure cooking…yes hunted and used it 🙂
- Then add ginger garlic paste,onion and fry till slightly browned.Then add tomato puree along with turmeric, chilli and garam masala powder and required salt. Fry till raw smell of tomatoes leave and the mixture shrinks.
- Then add the mashed dals and give a quick stir. Add 1/2 cup water if its too thick and dry.Then add cream.
- Then add milk and give a quick stir and allow it to boil.You can see the color change after few mins.When the gravy is thick as per your required consistency add chopped coriander leaves and switch it off.
Serve hot with any mild puloa / soft phulkas!
- While pressure cooking, add the whole spices with the lentils which gives a nice flavour to the curry and also reduces the raw smell while cooking.
- I used whole urad dal with skin, you can use splitted too.
- For a more richer version of the gravy, add more cream reducing milk.