Masala dosa is my my staple order in Annapoorna here at CBE. Amma always makes the potato masal we make for pooris little extra to make masala dosa the next day. But I made the potato masala specifically to make this dosa and click it :) And the tamarind coconut chutney is my fav with idlis and dosas.
- Pressure cook potatoes with water until soft. Cool it, peel off the skin and smash it up. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds allow it to crackle then add ginger and green chillies fry for a minute. Then add onion and tomato, saute till onions turn slightly brown and tomatoes raw smell leave.
- Now add the smashed potatoes, turmeric powder and mix well. Add required salt and sprinkle little water give a quick stir. Allow it to cook until water is fully absorbed and forms a thick mass. Switch off. Your masala stuffing is ready now.
- Heat the dosa tawa, take a laddle full of dosa batter and spread it circular thinner as possible as we do for normal dosas and drizzle oil. When the dosa gets cooked on one side drizzle a tsp of idli milagai podi then take 1.5 tbsp of masala stuffing and place it in the center. Close it as shown below. Add a spon of butter on the dosa. Follow this for the remaining dosas too.
- Adding idli milagai podi is purely optional but I like that way as we have it in bangalore restaurants.
- Dont let the dosa turn crispy, then folding from both the ends will not be possible as the dosa will tend to break.
- You can even add ghee to make the dosa to get the exact restaurant type ghee masala roast.
- Dry roast urad dhal until golden brown, set aside. Then dry roast coconut, red chillies and tamarind.Allow it to cool then grind coconut, redchillies, urad dhal,tamarind to a smooth paste by adding little water. Add required salt. Set aside.
- In a kadai heat oil, add mustard seeds and curry leaves, allow it to splutter. Add this tempering to the chutney and mix well. Adjust water according to the consistency you prefer.
My Notes :
- The tamarind coconut chutney keeps well for a day even without refrigeration so we carry this always when we are on a days trip to accompany with dosas and idlys.
- Dry roast the ingredients well specifically coconut should be roasted well without any moisture.