I am looking ahead for a bc week...hope all goes smooth. Have just started baking goodies and serving them for guests. Have also treated few office collegues with my choc cake and pizza....I was so happy to receive their comments :) I was jumping in joy(though not physically;)) when one of my friend said I hate pizzas outside but this home made one is too gud, soft and perfect after tasting my pizza :) So why am I talking abt baking when this post has nothing related to it....here I promise there are more baked goodies coming up few are even low fat versions.
Paruppu podi also called as Lentils powder is very popular in South India. There are so many versions of this podi, have just started to make them at home.All these days was relying on the store bought ones...esp aachi and MTR brand paruppu podis are too gud.
- Toor dal/thuvaram paruppu - 1 cup
- Red chillies - 2 big ones
- Black Pepper corns - 1 tsp
- Peanuts - 2 tsp [optional]
- Garlic - 6 to 8 flakes
- Salt - as required
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - few
- Add oil in a kadai, Roast red chillies and toor dal till toor dal turns light golden brown.
- Now add pepper corns and peanuts and roast for 2mins.Add curry leaves and roast till it becomes crispy.By this time the dhal would have turned golden brown.
- At this stage cool down and grind it with salt to a coarse powder, keep aside.
- Crush the garlic coarsely, add it to the above mixture and grind it again to a powdered texture.
- Store in an air tight container and use when needed.Mix in rice with ghee / oil and enjoy!!
I have read in a book that adding raw garlic in the final stage gives good flavour of garlic to the podi and enhances the taste too!
Paruppu podi is one of our favourite podi/powder which is eaten as an accompaniment to hot rice or even idlys. I like to have it with hot rice topped with ghee :)
What else do you want on a lazy day....just add this podi and ghee with hot rice and enjoy the taste!!