Chana Biryani Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Lunch | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian | Recipe Reference: Indian Vegetarian Kitchen
Oil – 1 tbsp
Cinnamon – 1/2 inch piece
Bay leaf – 1
Cardamom – 1
Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp
Mint leaves – 2 tbsp
Small Onion – 5
Garlic – 4
Tomato – 1 big sized
Green chillies – 1
Coconut – 2 tbsp
- In a mixer add the ingredients listed under ‘to grind’ and grind to a fine paste.Soak channa in water overnight(atleast for 6-7 hours). Next day pressure cook it for 5 whistles and set aside.
- Rinse basmati rice, and keep soaked in water for 15mins. Heat oil in a pressure cooker add items listed under ‘to temper’. Then add onions , ginger garlic paste and saute till golden brown. Then add the masala paste along with garam masala powder.
- Fry till raw smell leaves.Add salt, garam masala powder and give a quick stir. Then add cooked channa, basmati rice and mix well till masala is blended well.
- Then add coconut milk, water and pressure cook for 3 whistles. Once pressure releases add ghee and fluff it carefully with a fork.
Serve hot with onion / carrot raita!
- Channa takes time to cook(I usually leave it for 7 whistles) so I precooked for 4 whistles till 3/4th done then added it to the rice and gave 3 whistles. This way it is too soft perfect for biryani.
- You can also use black channa or any bean variety for making this biryani.
- Goes well even with plain raita.