From the day I saw Bharathy's okra thoran, I was waiting to try it the next time I buy them. Yest I made it and to my surprise it had a unique taste with the blend of coconut, garlic & spices. I am not familiar with the grinding part, we either fry or make poriyal or use them in pulikulambu. I like okras in any form...and on the other side hubby hates it . I wonder why does most husb's have a aversion to this vegie?! I blindly followed the recipe except that I didnt use coconut oil and few adjustments in quantity.
Oil- a tbsp
Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
Urad dal-1/2 tsp
Finely chopped shallots- a tsp
Curry leaves- few
To grind to coarse paste with little water:
Grated coconut – 2 tbsps
Red Chilli - 1
Jeera - ¼ tsp
NOTE: Add min water while grinding, I added lil more so my okras got mashy.
1. Chop the okras to about half a cm wide rounds.
Written by: SHARMILEE J
2. Heat a tbsp of oil in a kadai.Splutter mustard seeds, brown the urad dal and sauté the shallots until light brown.Add curry leaves.
3. Add the grinded paste and sauté for a few mins till raw smell goes.
4. Now add okras, turn them well so as to avoid sticking to kadai . Sprinkle some water, add salt and keep the kadai closed.
5. Keep in low flame and keep mixing once in every 2mins, Do this until its cooked well.Remove from flame and serve hot with rice.