Monday, March 23, 2009
Friday, March 20, 2009
Wednesday, March 18, 2009
Shahi Tukda Recipe - Ingredients
Recipe Category: Dessert | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Milk - 3 cups
Bread - 5 slices
Saffron - 3 to 4 strands
Ghee - to toast
Nuts - 2 tbsp (Pista & Badams chopped finely)
For the sugar syrup:Sugar - 1/4 cup
CWater - 1/2 cup
- Strip off the corners of the bread and cut into small triangles, set aside.Soak saffron strands in warm milk, keep aside.Prepare sugar syrup by heating sugar and water in a pan until a syrup like consistency is formed.It should be thick and sticky thats all, dont need to check for string consistency etc.Keep aside.
- Boil milk, add the saffron milk to it. Once it boils and shrinks to half, add the chopped nuts, bring to a boil and switch off.The mixture is called rabri.Refrigerate it till use.
- Toast the bread with ghee in a non-stick tawa such that it becomes crisp.You can do them in batches. You can use ur oven or toaster too. It can deep fried in ghee too.
- Soak each slice in the sugar syrup and arrange it in a plate.Then pour the rabri over the bread slices to soak well. Garnish with chopped nuts toasted in ghee. Serve chilled.
Deep frying sure is very tasty so once in a while rich indulgence is not a problem...what say?! ;)
- Either deep fry the bread slices in ghee or toast them. Dont deep fry/toast in oil as it will spoil the taste.
- The bread slices should be crispy else when soaked in milk it will become soggy.
- If you wish you can cut the sides of the bread. I didnt find any difference after soaking so usually I dont remove the sides of the bread.
- You can use either white or brown bread. I used white here.
Let me start first....To me :
1. The click of the picture ofcourse comes first in place
2. Ingredients - It should be easy to get or already there in my kitchen and how healthy the ingredients are....
3. The labour and time needed to prepare the dish....but if the pic is too tempting I wudnt mind doing it even if its a lengthy process :)
4. Innovativeness - If I've not heard of the dish and its tempting then I wud go for it.
5. And finally the presentation and color of the dish.
Would luv to hear urs too...Come on, Pour in!
Friday, March 13, 2009
Hmm first I admit that this pista cke was from Mcrennet and not from my kitchen...I havent tried my hands yet in baking and stuff. When I was wondering what cake to order for hubbys bday.....I made up my mind not to stick with choc as I am bored of having choc cake everytime....also my cam wanted to click something other than brown......;) so opted for pista . I wasnt much satisfied with the write up on the cake...the girl was in such a hurry that she scribbled like this....forget it... but the taste was yum yum!
Yup....today is hubbys bday....Here is me wishing him a very happy bday and this post is esp for him! Have you ever wondered why we celebrate bdays??!! Does it mean only new dresses, gifts, partying with friends, chocs n cakes? I feel Birthdays remind us that the gift of life is the most precious and important one! And to me birthdays are more special than any other festival....its the special time to celebrate the gift of 'you' to the world.
1. To make cottage cheese - I boiled the milk, Added few drops of lemon juice till the milk curdled
2. Transfered the curdled milk into a muslin cloth to drain out the water. After sometime I tried to divide and shape into small balls........but here is where the pain started I cudnt roll it at all...:(
3. Made a thick sugar syrup , dropped the semi balls into the syrup and they started to seperate.....as the balls were not strong enough
4. Then added these scrambled rasamalai's to the thickened milk(done seperately)
5. Added cardamom powder and garnished with pistachios and almonds
Wednesday, March 11, 2009
- Shutter speed and I am adding one more to it
Tuesday, March 10, 2009
Egg Gravy Recipe - Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Eggs - 2
Garam Masala powder - 1/4 tsp
Big Onion- 1/2 chopped finely
Coriander leaves - 1 tbsp chopped finely
Salt- as required
To roast and grind:Grated coconut- 3 tbsp
Coriander seeds- 1 tbsp
Red Chilli- 1
Garlic- 2 cloves
Ginger- 1/2 inch
Pepper corns- 1 tsp
Fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds- 1/4 tsp
To temper:Cinnamon - a 1/4 inch piece
Cloves - 2
Curry leaves- few
- Boil eggs until done. Cool it and then break the shells and remove it carefully. Then slit on all all sides using a knife.
- In medium flame in a pan, dry roast all the ‘To be grinded’ ingredients for 2-3 mins till it turns brown.Then cool down and grind it to a fine paste with little water.
- Heat oil and add the items under 'to temper' then add onion tomato and saute it, till it becomes mushy.Then add coconut paste and saute for 2mins until raw smell leaves.
- Add 1/2 cup of water and allow it to boil.Then add garam masala and salt and cook for 5 to 10 mins in sim until oil sperates.Finally add the bolied eggs and cook for a min.Garnish with coriander leaves and switch off.
- Allow atleast 15mins resting time before serving so the gravy blends well with the eggs.
- You can also slit into halves and add it to gravy.
Monday, March 9, 2009
With mobile craze increasing day by day and with all the offers we are seeing we get easily carried away. This is my mobile experience with my 2nd mobile buy(1st mobile was given for xchange while getting this one) . My first mobile was Nokia 3310(BnW screen),...It was the time mobile phones were getting popular and amma got it for me during my project time when I was in Chennai......first time I was in hostel far away from her......but ofcourse only physically..! It was all fun to own a first mobile........the ringtones, sms(how can I forget it ;), pic msgs and the tones that we composed even A.R.Rehman wouldnt have been so much excited after his hit composition but we did! Then came the entry of new sleek flashy mobiles with Camera, Polyphonic ringtones, color screen.....And I was also tempted to hve one n selected a model too tat was Nokia 6610i.......But was thinking too hard as it was 8K, I went to the shops many times but returned back in a 2nd thought...New things always had a craze and I was also no exception for it...At tat time a mobile for tat cost wasnt affordable by amma but still she didnt say NO as usual.....Finally got a N6610i for a exchange price of 7K. Will u believe?!! I didnt sleep the whole night....I was with the mobile as if it was the last day with it.....I luved it so much....did this and that in the name of exploring ;) even got a datacable for it.....I was sticking to it all the time. The panel in the pic is not orginal...the orginal came with blue / silver.
I was packing home from office n it was already late 8PM (ha late at work in my language) Hubby came to pick me up......We were nearing our house and only then I realised my mobile was not with me I was panic.....coudnt speak a word except said him to drive back office. He said y do u get tensed for such silly things after all its a mobile......But to me it wasnt just a phone...but the meaning of that....nothing can replace it! Rushed towards my place....my mobile wasnt there....I was totally shattered...what the hell of carelessness I said myself. Suddenly I remembered that I went to my friends place before leaving....And finally yes found my mobile there!! I took a deepbreath.....only after that! Things do have meaning for certain things are not just products.....Though I have afforded to have much more costlier mobiles now, I cant consider my N6610i as any other phone. Inspite of it having some minor defects(charging pblms n voice clarity pblms).........the bond that it has with me still says U r my BEST and u'l always stay soo!
And now for the review and specifications : Check out GSMArena for any mobile reviews and user opinions . For the specifications of N6610i : http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_6610i-742.php
Looks - Lookswise the Nokia 6610i is cool and ofcourse very much handy
Usage - Being a Nokia mobile phone, the Nokia 6610i is a easy to use mobile phone and the 4-way navigation key makes it easier. Also, the keypad is just right and they are well spaced out leaving very little scope to press the keys wrongly. The keypads are soo soft to be pressed.
Sound quality - The ear volume is less when to compared to other phone.....like it is too low when used in traffic and other public places.
Ringtones - The Nokia 6610i, provides 8-chord polyphonic ringing tones. Also, some polyphonic ringtones are In-built as well provided by Nokia.
FM Radio - The Nokia 6610i, provides a FM Radio as well. Most of the stations can be tuned(which I dont get tuned in even in my trascend MP3 player)and the FM Radio signals come very clearly even when they are unclear in traditional radio sets n also MP3 players.. However, the FM Radio, cannot be listened simultaneously by both Headset and Loudspeaker.
Camera - As far as I remember The Nokia 6610i, is one of the 1st camera mobile phones created by Nokia. Being a entry-level camera phone, the picture quality of the Nokia 6610i is not too clear, but still the photos are viewable and the quality of the camera is average. But still one will surely get disappointed when got this mobile for camera .
Battery Life -The Battery life of the Nokia 6610i is good and on recharging to full battery, it works for almost 2-3 days if it is not used too much.
Tats all for now folks! Though this mobile was out of production soon after I got it....I just wanted to leave a note that there existed a mobile model like this in the instant changing mushroom business I mean the mobile world ;)Written by: SHARMILEE J
Friday, March 6, 2009
1.Wash carrots, peel of the skin and grate them, set aside.Heat ghee in a pan and roast the cashews till golden brown and keep it aside. In the same pan, add grated carrot.Saute it in medium flame till raw smell leaves and it shrinks in volume.
- Saute the carrots well until raw smell completely leaves before adding milk.
- You can add a tbsp of paneer / sweetened khoya for more richness.
- Adjust sweetness according to your preference.
- You can even add 1:1 ratio for carrot:milk.
Thursday, March 5, 2009
Wednesday, March 4, 2009
The essentials :
More About Light: To take a great picture you need more than just the light from your camera's flash. It took several months to know that light plays a vital role in photography.To get it, go outside in the daytime. Sunny, cloudy, it doesn't matter. Indoor light is often insufficientfor good photography, so do yourself a huge favor and step outdoors. In my case our house is little darkened even in the daytime so I have to run to balcony each time when I make a dish. Click a picture with flash and the same picture with natural source of light - You will surely see the difference!
Composing And Clicking: Frame your shot , press the shutter halfway when a green lamp(in mine) is shown and then click it. Now you are a way closer to click wonderful pictures!
Tip: If possible take your picture in the early morning or the late afternoons. The light at these times makes for the best photography.I know we cant step out in places like Chennai where heat is scorching.
Conclusion: Now that you've done all the preparations, next is click several shots! Nobody is perfect, most of all have turned to professionals having been a amateur one day. Make sure you take more than 3-4 pictures in the same postures as a beginner to photography. But then if its a macro not a problem but living objects u need to get hold of them to stand and give the same pose for more pictures, thats the trick you should find out ;) Try clicking kids tats the most hardest I feel.....they dont stand still for a moment and tats a more challenging work! Happy Clicking! :)Written by: SHARMILEE J
Marie Biscuits - 10
Powdered Sugar - 2 tbsp if bournvita is used [3 for coco powder]
Bournvita/Coco Powder - 1 tbsp
Unsalted Butter - 3 tbsp
Warm Milk - 1/4 cup
Instant coffee powder - 2 pinches
1. Mix the butter, sugar and bournvita powder and make it into a fine creamy texture.
2. Add the coffee powder to the milk. Dip each biscuit in this mixture and apply the cream in between each biscuit but only a very thin layer[this is optional] and arrange it in a stack neatly one on top of the other.
3. Now apply a thick layer on all sides of the stack evenly.
4. Refrigerate for 2 hours, remove and cut into slices.
What should I mention about the taste...When hubby came home I first showed him the pics I had taken.....his reaction was: Was it really made by you?? once he saw it live and realised it was marie biscuit he started teasing me.....but ofcourse finished it up fully. In short : Easy making with a yum yum taste!!
Written by: SHARMILEE J
Tip 1: Do u know how to use the edit button (abc or pencil button)?Heres how... in the inbox for example; u want to delete multiple sms, simply hold the edit button, scroll down, and then, press c to delete the marked sms. The edit button can also b used to copy and past text in sms, simply hold it and scroll across, choose copy. pretty good for placing song names in ngages
Tip 2: Save on battery and system memory being used by regulary checking the task manager which can be accessed by holding down the menu button!! Close the applications that are not in use.
Tip 3: Set the screen saver to a short time out period to prolong battery life.
Tip 4: Avoid restarting the phone, or repeatedly turning it on and off. This helps increase battery life.
Tip5: While you are viewing a picture in your phone's gallery, press one of these shortcut keys (definitely works on 6600, not sure about other symbians)
Tip 6: Only got blue, green and purple in your 3650 colour palette? This free app adds 3 more colours: Palette Extender.
Tip 7: You can speed up the phone by setting the time of the "Recent calls register" to one day (30 days by default).
Tip 8: Delete all messages from your Inbox at once:Menu > Messaging > Inbox > Options > Mark/Unmark > Mark all > Options > Delete
Tip 9: Record the sound of a phone call using the (sound) Recorder. Menu > Extra's > Recorder > Options > Record sound clip.Note: short beeps are audible during call registration.But there is a 60 second limitation so if you want unlimited sound recording get this app: Extended Recorder.
Tip 10: If you would like to avoid being "blue jacked", keep bluetooth turned off, or set your phone's visibility to hidden.